The Science of Luck


“I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson

Nothing is more depressing that putting a lot of effort into something that does not yield results. Quite often, the sales game seems like a futile practice – people don’t answer your calls, don’t show up for appointments, and don’t buy. When we’ve done our homework, our groundwork and scheduled the time to consistently make sales – when we’ve done everything right and we’re still not selling, that’s a lonely place to be.

It’s easy to say “It’s not working, so why bother?”, or “It’s the economy.” We’re tempted to give up, or tempted to blame our lack of success on circumstances beyond our control. We’re especially prone to looking at people who are selling and saying, “They have all the luck.”

Some people may be inherently lucky, but chances are they ascribe to the ancient proverb that “Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.” My boss reminded me of this recently when I made a sale based on a good referral from a colleague. I felt like I didn’t deserve the credit; she had pre-qualified the prospect and told them I would be a good fit as their coach. All I had to do was put the bow on the package – she had already wrapped it for me.

While I’m always happy to make a sale, I felt a twinge of guilt at having this one come so easily. I felt I hadn’t earned it. My boss reminded me that I had indeed been hard at work on all the sale and marketing activities that go into being ready to capitalize on opportunities. I made the sale due to my preparation and being ready when the deal came along.

The key is constant, diligent preparation. Keep scheduling sales into your calendar. Stay on top of your marketing and stay in the game. Maintain an optimistic attitude and always be on the lookout for a good opportunity. Sales may come from places you don’t expect, but constant practice and an open mind will definitely yield results. Winners practice their skills every day. Come game time they can make the clutch plays that edge the competition. It may look like luck, but it’s a direct result of the unseen hours of preparation that will seal the deal every time.

Are you ready to win?

0 comments: