The Business Bucket List


“Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do…Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain, American Author

As I was watching the Packers play the Vikings this evening, I was thinking that it would be great to someday see a game in Lambeau Field. And that seeing a game at Lambeau should be on my bucket list. Just then, Chris Collinsworth, the commentator, said “If you’ve never seen a game in Lambeau Field, you should put that on your bucket list.”

A spooky coincidence just in time for Halloween? Perhaps, but it got me thinking that I should also have a bucket list for my business. Those things that would be really great to accomplish, but that fall just outside of “business as usual.”

At Possibilities Unlimited, we coach clients to divide their tasks into three categories, things you’re doing, things you’re not doing, and things you’re never doing. We tell people to schedule the things they are doing into their calendars and get real about the things they are not doing. I guess the bucket list would fall somewhere in that category. So how do we get some of the bucket list items back on to the front burner? We schedule them in time. I’m never going to get to Lambeau Field if I don’t schedule time to go to a game, buy the tickets and show up. It’s the same with your business.

Here’s a few ideas for a business bucket list:

1. Open a branch office.
2. Hire an assistant.
3. Scan old files and clean out file cabinets.
4. Create a business continuity plan.
5. Get a certification in your field.
6. Launch a new product line.
7. Launch a new website.
8. Re-brand your company.
9. Attend an industry conference.
10. Take a vacation.

Take a half hour this week to create your business bucket list. Be sure to brainstorm. There are no bad ideas. Schedule time in your calendar each week to review your bucket list. Pick one task and start chipping away at it. Remember, the only way any bucket list will become a reality is if you find time in your calendar to realize your dreams.

What’s on your business bucket list? Share your ideas with us! We’d love to know what you’re thinking, and your vision for winning the game of business.

Are you ready to win?

1 comments:

Bruce Fetter said...

One thing I am putting on my bucket list, work 2 hours a week on my book "How is your Cancer".